Sunday, October 23, 2011

Day 3: South Beach Phase 1

It's getting pretty boring with me just listing what I ate. Today I actually did some cooking. In the morning I made my chicken breakfast sausage patties. I came up with this the last time I was on South Beach. This is a lot healthier than even the turkey sausage you can buy at the store so you can probably eat this everyday if you wanted to. You shouldn't eat regular turkey breakfast sausage from the grocery store everyday. It has too much fat.

Chicken Breakfast Sausage

2 pounds ground chicken breast (either lean ground chicken from grocery store or grind your own chicken breasts)
2 teaspoons rubbed sage
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons sugar free maple flavored syrup
1-3 teaspoons crushed reds
few gratings freshly grated cloves
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon tarragon
2 cloves garlic (or 2 teaspoons garlic powder)

Mix everything together. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat skillet on medium heat. Form chicken into patties and pan fry until brown. Finish cooking in oven.

I keep the patties in the freezer and bring out a patty or two for breakfast. It reheats well in the microwave.

The next recipe is for Chicken & Pork Satay. I ate the chicken and the bf ate the pork. I took some pictures with my phone. This is not a food blog, I am not breaking out the DSLR or doing any fancy plating.



Chicken & Pork Satay

1 pound chicken breast or pork loin or roast, sliced

2 tablespoons fish sauce

2 tablespoons coconut cream

1 clove garlic, minced

½ inch knob of ginger, minced

2 tablespoons curry powder

1 teaspoon coriander powder

MSG, to taste (optional)

1 packet splenda

Marinate chicken for 1 to 4 hours. Soak skewers in water for approximately 30 minutes. Skewer the chicken pieces. Grill until cooked.


Peanut Sauce:

13 ounce can coconut milk

1 cup peanut butter (Use creamy or crunchy. I had crunchy on hand.)

2 tablespoons red curry paste

2 packets splenda

2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar

salt, to taste

MSG, to taste (optional)

Heat everything in a sauce pan, constantly whisking to combine sauce. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer about 3 minutes. Be careful if you’re not using a heavy-bottomed saucepan, the sauce may scorch. Let cool and serve.

Leftover peanut sauce can be frozen for later.


You'll notice honey is in the picture below. There's no honey in the recipe. I don't know how it got there. You will not be using honey or palm sugar but two packets of splenda.


I forgot to include the rice vinegar in the photo above.


The last item on the plate is a cucumber salad. It's not Thai cucumber salad. I wanted the Lao style salad but I didn't want shred the cucumber or use a mortar & pestle so I just sliced the cucumber and tossed them with lime juice, fish sauce, sliced bird chilies, garlic, splenda, and MSG.

Breakfast: Coffee with half & half and splenda, "fried" egg, and two slices turkey bacon (reheated from yesterday's breakfast
Lunch: skipped
Snack: Planter's Nut-rition mixed nuts (about 15 pieces)
Dinner: 1 chicken satay skewer, peanut sauce, and cucumber salad
Dessert: Chocolate milk made with Horizon Organic lactose free milk and sugar free Hershey's syrup

No comments:

Post a Comment