Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day 2: South Beach Phase 1

Today went well. There were temptations but I keep remembering the dress. I also want to look great on my wedding day so that when a certain someone stalks me, they will want to eat their heart out. I know it's mean and vain but it helps motivate me.

Today I slept in so I had breakfast a little later. I had and egg and two slices of turkey bacon. It's not bacon (more like bacon flavored turkey lunch meat) but it's something. A note about the eggs: I'm eating a lot of eggs on this diet. Don't do it if you have cholesterol issues. I eat a lot of eggs because I cannot stomach the taste of most meat.

I think I skipped lunch. I didn't even have my coffee until later in the day. I just had a snack of mixed nuts instead.

For dinner I made chicken chili with kidney and pinto beans. It was pretty darn good. The bf calculated his calories for the day and decided he could eat a second bowl. (We're doing this diet together. He's just cutting his portions and watching his calories while I'm doing that plus low carb.) I also had half a cup of steamed sugar snap peas. They are delicious and only 35 calories.

I went to sign up for a new tanning package at the neighborhood tanning salon and then I went to pick up a few more grocery items. When I came home, I had a glass (cup) of chocolate milk. It was Horizon 2% lactose free milk with two tablespoons of sugar free Hershey's syrup.

Breakfast: 2 slices turkey bacon and 1 "fried" egg
Lunch: Skipped
Snack: about 15 mixed nuts and coffee
Dinner: less than a cup of homemade chicken chili and 1/2 cup steamed sugar snap peas
Snack: Chocolate milk made with lactose free milk and sugar free Hershey's syrup

I forgot to post the recipe I used for making my chicken chili. Besides this blog, I actually have a wedding planning blog and a food blog that dates back to 2004. I adapted one of my regular recipes for South Beach. (I also made it simpler to make since my other recipe is a two-day turkey chili recipe.)

South Beach Chicken Chili

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
ancho chile powder, to taste
1 pound lean ground chicken (or use ground turkey but I find ground chicken leaner)
1 bell pepper, diced
2 10-ounce cans Ro-tel (make sure no sugar added)
1 10-ounce can tomato sauce (make sure no sugar added)
10 ounces water
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
1 32-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
1 tablespoon Dutch processed cocoa powder
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
few drops of Tabasco or Texas Pete hot sauce
1 packet of Splenda (optional -- if you need to cut the acidity)

1. Heat large dutch oven on medium heat. Add olive oil, onions, and garlic. Saute about a minute. Add ancho chili powder and saute about 20 seconds.
2. Toss in chicken and cook until browned. Add bell peppers and cook for a minute.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer several hours until thick. Adjust seasoning. Serve with low fat cheese and diced onions.

I usually make a turkey chili requiring dicing up turkey meat. It's one of those things I like to make when turkeys go on sale for Thanksgiving. It's tedious but the texture is so much better than using ground turkey.

I usually roast and grind my own dried chile pods for chili. (Like I do for my enchilada sauce.) For this I used ground ancho chile powder from my local spice shop. This powder is just ground up dried chiles and not the chili seasoning mix you find at the grocery store. I think chili powders are fine but be careful with the seasoning packets at the store. They contain flour to thicken the chili. I usually thicken my chili with some masa flour or just crumble a few corn chips into the pot. I like the crumbled corn chips because it's just very satisfying to add crumbled chips to chili. But for this recipe, I couldn't use a thickener. I just cooked it down and it was pretty thick.

I also like to use garbanzo beans. (Don't shoot me. I'm not Texan.) This time I just went with kidney and pinto beans. It was funny as the bf went through the pantry and pulled out cans of beans. "How about azuki beans? Or soy beans? Black beans?" I have a pretty good stash of can and dried beans but with cooking for South Beach, I find easier is better. I don't want to spend too much time cooking or thinking about food. I love food. I socialize around food. I study food. Who else will bake the same chocolate cake every week for four months just to adjust it perfectly for high altitude baking? The reason why I got fat was because I love yummy food and cannot force myself to eat for the sake of eating. I'm re-learning how to eat to live and not live to eat. I need to just eat what's good for me so that I'm not hungry; not eat only things that I find tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment