Saturday, November 5, 2011

Bread






Someone suggested that I try to Kroger brand Carb Helper bread. I read good reviews about the bread and how some people were heartbroken when Kroger discontinued it for a while. The bread is relatively affordable compared to other low carb bread on the market (which currently isn't many).

I've been eating the Sara Lee Delightful Light Whole Wheat with Honey bread mainly because I get two slices for about the same calories as a regular slice of another bread. It's only slightly less caloric but my main problem is wanting two slices to make a sandwich and it's tough to find two slices of whole wheat for less than 100 calories. Sometimes I will use only one slice and fold it in half when I want just a little snack.

So what I'm looking for in a bread:

- Get two slices for 100 calories or less. It doesn't matter if the slices are thinner but I don't want to be the one slicing a slice in half to get two slices.

- Affordable. Hey it's bread. Flour is cheap so I can't justify paying more for bread than I do for meat.

- High in fiber. Because staying regular is goof.

- High in protein. Protein is your friend.

- Taste. It must taste good because it will be a rare treat.

- Easy to find. I don't mind driving out of my way once in a while but an ideal bread should be easy to locate. I'm not paying $7.99 per loaf and then also pay for shipping or wait until I go home to bring back a few loaves at a time. I want to be able to drive to a store to pick it up when I'm feeling like some bread. Storing 6 loaves in the freezer doesn't make much sense to me either since I've never been able to eat previously refrigerated or frozen bread before. Bread is something you eat fresh -- meaning in a few days.

- Whole grain.

- No High Fructose Corn Syrup. Ideally the yeast should be fed with honey or molasses but I'll settle for evaporated cane juice (or sugar).

So below are the stats for both bread. Same calories but Kroger is slightly better in terms of fiber and protein.

Kroger:
Serving: 1 slice (28g)
Calories 45
Total Fat: 1g
Total Carb: 7g
Fiber: 3g
Sugars: 0g
Protein: 5g

Sara Lee:
Serving: 1 slice (22g)
Calories 45
Total Fat: .5g
Total Carb: 7g
Fiber: 2.5g
Sugars: 1g
Protein: 3g

Sara Lee also has HFCS which I am not crazy about. Pepperidge Farm also makes a light bread but it also has HFCS. Anyone have any other recs? Something that is easy to find? I went searching for the Julian Bakery Smart Carb 1 bread at Vitamin Cottage today without any luck. I think I have to venture out to a different VC to find it (or wait until I go home in a few weeks and bring some back).

Now a review of the bread. I think it tastes fine. I had a slice with natural peanut butter and sugar free blackberry preserves and another slice with almond butter (ground in store by Vitamin Cottage) and sugar free blackberry preserves. The bread is slightly spongy if that makes any sense. I think it's the corn starch used. The texture of Sara Lee is more like real bread. Sara Lee is marketed as a lower calorie bread; not a low carb bread.

Remember that South Beach is not a low carb diet. But I try to make a conscious effort to limit my carb intake and would rather get my carbs from beans, veggies, and nuts. South Beach is also not a calorie counting diet. I know other people have lost weight even without counting their calories but for me, it doesn't work that way. The only way I lose weight is limiting the calories I take it. It's simple math. 3,500 calories is a pound. If I cut out 3,500 calories from my diet, I lose a pound.

Then why am I doing South Beach? Well...because I love sweets and bread. I love carbs. To keep myself from eating too much, I must restrict the things I love. I've never been much of a meat eater but by forcing myself to eat more meat, I am eating to stop my hunger. Plus it keeps me full longer. When I eat tons of carby food, I eat and then I get hungry so therefore I eat some more. It's a cycle. I find that by eating more protein, I eat less because I stay full longer.

So why eat bread? I can't stay on Phase 1 forever so I must add back in fruits and grains. Whole grains are good for you. Before when I ate bread, I chose mostly the variety made from white flour. The dense whole grain stuff was only purchased for the BF.

So the quest for the perfect bread continues. For now, either one will work fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment